Sunday, March 21, 2010

Getting Crafty On the Go!

When you're stuck in traffic, waiting in line or for someone or if you're just plain BORED, what do you usually do?

Most of the time, I see people fiddling with their mobile phones (probably playing games or sending SMS). I also see some reading a book and some who just stare blankly into space (which most often than not are the irate ones...hehe).

Thanks to my cousin, I was introduced to knitting a year ago. I never really thought I would enjoy it until I was able to finish some projects.

I later on got so hooked on it, I started acquiring cool knitting tools and imported yarns. They're not the cheapest but they're the best especially if you're planning to use your finished projects on your kids or yourself.

"Knitting is for grannies..." 
I DON'T AGREE because well, I'm not a granny and my mom or my grandma don't knit PLUS there are quite a number of celebrities (both young and old and MEN even, who knit!)

There's Hillary Duff who knits to keep herself occupied on plane trips

Model Kimberly Stuart even hosts knitting parties with her friends (yes, the one who also parties with other celebrities like Paris Hilton).
Julia Roberts
Julia Roberts apparently knits while in between shoots and is planning to star in the film Friday Night Knitting Club (which reminds me that I've been wanting to get that book).

Scarlett Johansson


Scarlett Johansson - so knitting is SEXY! (hahah). She even knitted a scarf to use for her role in Lost In Translation!

and her Husband, Ryan Reynolds also knows how to knit (I've given up on teaching involving mine...)

Ryan Reynolds 


To name a few others, there's Debra Messing (I miss Will & Grace!), Uma Thurman, Sarah Jessica Parker!
Sarah Jessica Parker knitting on set 
and get this: KATE MOSS!

Kate Moss 

Catherine Zeta Jones taught Antonio Banderas during their film The Legend of Zorro (cool eh?)

Catherine Zeta Jones - and Antonio Banderas 

The sense of accomplishment when you finish a project (no matter how imperfect it looks) is the best joy ever!

I must admit that I have been slacking off and after organizing my tools and yarns, I need to get back to knitting. Plus traffic is horrible, so I might as well bring a project along. I also like knitting while I'm waiting at the doctor's office or to take a break during the day, just to relax.


It's the best thing (ever) when someone you love LOVES the stuff you make. :) I hope one day, it can be a bonding activity between me and my daughter among many other hobbies.

     

TOOLS OF THE TRADE TO GET YOU STARTED:
http://k1yarns.co.uk/woolshop/images/2_large(2).jpg http://en.wikivisual.com/images/b/b6/Knitting_needles.jpg
1. Knitting Needles (straight or circular, depends on your preference) - I personally like circular needles because they are easy to bring along than straight ones. I like ADDI CIRCULAR KNITTING NEEDLES because I find that I work faster and they just glide like butter on your hands. 

2. Yarn - There are a lot of options - in the Philippines, it's quite hard to find really nice yarn and the ones usually available are Acrylic (synthetic). I like the acrylic ones from Bernat (which comes from the US) and the cotton ones from Lion and Lily (which are also from the US). 

3. Patterns - you can download so many online. It's quite handy especially if you're just starting to knit. What I do is I download them and save them on my mobile phone as PDF or as an e-book so I can have them ready when I knit outside. 

Here are my favorite websites for tips and patterns:

http://www.vogueknitting.com/ (Yup! Vogue has a knitting magazine and site!)
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/
http://www.dailyknitter.com/
http://www.knittinghelp.com/ - GO TO THIS SITE to learn the basics and advance techniques!

So WHERE can you buy awesome knitting stuff, especially the imported ones from the US? Go to DREAMS Yarn Shop in Glorietta 5, 3rd floor. I love that shop, the owner and their sales associates. They are quite helpful plus you can hang out, learn and share from other knitters (who are amazing!).

I haven't been able to visit for quite some time (since I've got more than enough and I can't help but buy something) but I will very soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment