Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bottle Battles

I've mentioned it HERE before that I bought The First Years Breastflow Bottles. 

They were quite promising...until we used them.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh7V0Mc9OPiUV05jp1sv-VnTBVD8HJr0LmsYSavM1HtSfGujD7D_dtGw5q3ZOZ09etpd5FBR20L9NLrbJh0Ckv2QhcFas8Q2-vTuCS-FoO5K5-GmJFFSukprouGMiEAIzgIYkaO-hUu0_qN/s400/breastflow.gif 


They leak all over! I was so disappointed!!! :(

The transition from breast to bottle and vice versa was great at first until we used the bottles for the second time, they leak all over the place and my son seems to have a hard time feeding because the supposedly soft flow isn't what we expected.

To think we are using a really nice sterilizer as compared to boiling the bottles.

Not only do they waste so much milk (especially breast milk which was pumped despite being awake for almost 24 hours), you don't get to track how much the baby has actually fed through the bottle because it leaks all over from the nipple, the cap, everywhere!

So I had to find a quick alternative and we found Tommee Tippee which was part of my to try list and research HERE. I like how its also like the breast but I find their slow flow nipples still too fast but so far, they don't leak. They're pricey too at almost Php500 per bottle or Php889 for the twin pack (8 oz), available at SM Dept Store's baby section.

But as I have bought 10 bottles of Breastflow (YES 10!) the hubby and I figured out a way to just detach the inner nipple and just use the outer one. The flow is quite fast so I'm guessing we'll use this when the baby's a little bit older.

I'm interested to try Adiri though, I'm thinking Nuby would be most likely like Tommee Tippee but we'll see where the shopping bug will lead me to.I just want to make sure my baby nurses right.



http://keluargakamil.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/adiri.jpg





The bad news is that I've been breastfeeding less because my milk supply seems low despite the frequent feedings I give my little one. I'm thinking its stress or the lack of sleep and energy.

For that story, will post another entry.

Later! :)



6 comments :

  1. That sucks because these are the only bottles I have! I haven't started bottle feeding yet (and truthfully, I don't know if I ever will). What about Born Free bottles? Have you tried them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eliza, I haven't tried Born Free yet. I'm still on the hunt for Adiri bottles. I really want the bottles to simulate the breast. As I still want to breastfeed as much as I can despite the low milk supply I have.

    I thought these bottles were the best though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no! I have four of these! They're actually cheaper kasi. I thought I made a good choice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mommy Tricia! I just wanted to get back to you and tell you we used the Breastflows too, and my son wouldn't even take them! I took your cue and bought a Tommee Tippee. I hope this time we're successful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These bottles are actually okay, I have one bottle that leaks but the rest doesn't. It is not suited for a newborn baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    @Rochelle - I bought the Dr. Brown's and they seem to be my son's favorite bottles. But don't worry, you can still use the Breastflow when your baby's a little older. Since mine is already on solid food, I took out the inner contraption and it works fine without the leaks with milk or water.

    @thepainterswife - same thing, try it again when he's older. Mine started using it again when he was around 6 months. Try taking out the inner nozzle and it shouldn't leak anymore. I use it for daytime for his milk and water when he's eating solids.

    @annpod - Mine all had leaks. It's so tricky with the inner nozzle so I took them out.

    ReplyDelete