Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Layette as you go: Part 2

THE ESSENTIAL STUFF: Clothing

There are so many choices out in the market. During my first pregnancy, my mom and I decided to go to divisoria and check out the items there.

Yep, they were really cheap and more or less, the same quality with what you see in the stores.

That was 3 years ago.

Before I got pregnant (mid last year), I gifted someone with a few baby items that came from divisoria. Landmark department store and SM department store. I was surprised because department stores were starting to offer their own branded lines close to divisoria prices.

But today, I was even more surprised to see that the prices are actually the same and the quality, obviously better PLUS less the travel time, crowd and inconvenience of not having enough places to rest while you shop when in divisoria.

So, below are my finds which I'm quite happy about.

CLOTHING ESSENTIALS FOR NEWBORNS (0-3 months) - our second baby is a boy! (do pardon the background, I used his ate's pink polka pillows)

FROM SM Department Store (Megamall - infant section) and Babyland in Glorietta Makati


SM Baby Basics 4 pcs Sleeveless Tie-sides
Bought in pairs at Php84.75
I bought 4 pcs.
Babies actually like the cold. From all my nephews and nieces and my first born, they tend to take off their blankets when they can. I also want to have these but in small quantities in case the weather won't be so cool in June. Plus these are good to use during the day time when you get to go out early in the morning to expose them to the sun for a few minutes.

SM Baby Basics 4 pcs Short Sleeved Tie-sides
Bought in pairs at Php84.75
I bought 4 pcs.
I only buy around 4-6 pieces of these for newborn as they do grow quite fast. I'm giving birth in June so I'm considering that the season will be rainy or a little bit colder (than what we are experiencing now! it's so humid). I might also buy 3 pieces of the long sleeved ones.

Cotton Stuff Garterized Mittens - 2 pairs at Php69.75
I bought 4 pairs / 2 packs
Mittens to protect my lil one from the scratchies. I tend to get a dozen of these as pair do get lost along the way plus you use it until 3 or up to 4 months, dependent on how soon you can trim baby's nails.

SM Baby Basics Garterized Booties - 3 pairs at Php49.75
I bought 1 pack
Booties as I do not like seeing babies barefoot especially when going out. Plus like mittens, there seems to be a black hole for these. So I get at least a dozen.


Cotton Stuff Cap & Booties - Set at Php89.75
I bought 2 packs
My first born hated wearing caps so I only bought 2 and It came with a matching pair of white booties. These were the softest I could find. I believe I still need them for this new baby especially on his first days out.

SM Baby Basics Soft Cotton Stretch Triangle Binders 3 at Php44.75
I bought 2 packs
I don't like the stiff cotton types. I feel that they burn the skin. So I was happy enough to find these as they were so hard to find before. These are a little bit stretchy and are really super soft. You can get as much as a dozen because sometimes, wee-wee or poo-poo creeps up the diaper and these often fall as victims to those natural baby elements...hehe.



String tie-type binders, mittens and booties at 3 pcs and pairs per pack at Php60.75 from Babyland
I bought 2 packs each
This is another binder version that i like. It's adjustable and the fabric is soft. Plus I got it on sale at Babyland which is great.

Though I prefer garterized mittens and booties, sometimes, the baby tends to get a little fuzzy and you have missing mittens and booties here and there. It's handy to have these as you can regulate the fit.


Cotton Stuff hooded receiving blanket - Php189
I bought 1 piece
I bought one because you get these as gifts most of the time plus I've been making my own recently. :) I've discovered really nice flannel cloth and 100% cotton fabrics which I'm making into blankets for the new baby.


Cotton Stuff tie-type bibs - Php49.75 each
I bought 3 pieces
I only bought 3 pieces because he won't be eating till he's 5 or 6 months plus, you will almost have a set or two of these as gifts, if not, they're quite affordable. These though are really nice because the cotton is really soft. I want these handy when breast feeding and while giving vitamins to avoid staining the baby's clothes.

Cotton Stuff Terry Washcloths at Php49.75 each
I bought 3 pieces
I only bought 3 pieces because I normally get these as gifts and these are easy to get anyway. Mhy daughter still uses hers during bath times. I find that terry washcloths last longer and clean efficiently but gently

Curity Gauze type diapers Php399.75 for 1 dozen
I bought 1 pack
I'm planning to use disposable diapers because we are currently in a condo and there is not so much space to air dry. I also don't want to have baby clothes laundered outside. But these are really really worth it because up until now, my daughter still uses hers (and relies so much on them that she asks for her "lampin" if she's sweaty or to wipe her hands and all). Gauze types also get to become softer and softer after every wash as long as they are washed properly.

Faded Glory Preemie Frogsuit - on sale at Php120! from Babyland
This is going to be our baby's going home suit
I bought 1 piece
I only bought 1 frog suit because I want to have something to use when the baby goes home or when he goes out that's not purely white. The cotton of this is quite soft too and for the price, having this for 1-2 months isn't that bad. I'm planning to save this as a keepsake later on.




NBA Onesie - from SM at Php199.75
This is a novelty item for me and will serve as our baby boy's first day-out outfit
it's also a plus because it's the hubby's favorite NBA team
I bought 1 piece
It's good to have at least a piece of clothing that's not purely white but still looks clean with a little quirkiness to it. Most gifts are also statement onesies and there are a lot available so I'm in no hurry to buy so much.


Ducky Terry cloth hooded towel - on sale at Php175 at Babyland
I bought 1 piece
This is more for quick washes and clean-ups because I prefer to buy big white towels, also, the older sister still has a few pieces of this type that are still in good condition. I also usually get these as gifts


I used to buy each in like 1-2 dozen (excited mom...but not practical). As you get to see how your baby behaves, you can buy an additional piece of two later on. When you see the rate he/she grows as well, you'll be able to prioritize what's most needed and what you can do without.

I'd rather invest in his health care like up to date vaccines, natural or organic care products and some furniture that I know he and his sister can use until they're 6 or 7.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks so much for the detailed info and photos! I'm pregnant with our first child and searching the net for what to buy. Good thing I stumbled on your site. God bless!

    ReplyDelete